Monday, October 1, 2007

Back to Elementary School...

I just paid a visit to my sons' former elementary school, to donate a copy of the book to the LMC (Library Media Center: because 21st century school libraries contain so much more than books!). I absolutely LOVE this school. My boys attended this school from Kindergarten through 5th grade. I volunteered as the room mom every year except for one, and dabbled in other committees also. The entire diverse community of teachers, staff, students, and parents was/is so very tightly knit and it's such a welcome place. Besides the high standards of education held here, the teachers and staff offer so much more; they definitely impacted our family as I'm sure they did many others.

Mrs. J had both of my kids in 2nd grade--different years, of course. She is just one of the dynamic, energetic, caring teachers on staff. She tries to maintain a reputation that she is the "meanest" teacher at the school, but only succeeds in fooling the kids until they attend her class on the first day, because she is so fun!!

Mr. G had my older son for 3rd grade and, later, my younger one for math. He actually invited his entire 3rd grade class to his wedding that year!

Mrs. W had my younger son for 4th grade. She is a no-nonsense woman: doesn't take any "business" from anyone. At the time, she was PERFECT for him. One of the things I loved about her is that if my son had a problem he wanted to talk about, she was more than willing to meet with him (and sometimes, me too!) before school. She gave him so much respect and always made sure he knew she was listening to him, and they worked together on solutions.

Mr. R had my younger son for 5th grade. He lives practically in the school's backyard. He taught my son a lot about negotiating the delicate relationship issues between 5th grade boys and girls. (He did a lot of refereeing that year!)

Mrs. M had my older son for 5th grade. In addition to having a great year, he had the chance to audition for the Nicole Kidman movie "Birth", because Mrs. M received info on the casting call and thought he should try out for it. (Needless to say we're glad he didn't get that particular movie...but auditioning was an experience that not too many kids get, and definitely unforgettable. He no longer reads scripts.LOL)

On my way in, I stopped to see the school receptionist, who has been there for a really long time. She once told me that she remembers my 15 year old coming in to see her at the office on a regular basis as a kindergartner, not because he had a stomach ache or some other problem, but just because he wanted to visit the office. (Awww...cute!) She told me that I can make some flyers to hand out to the teachers and support staff. Yay!

I then spoke with the LMC Director, whom I had not met previously. She thanked me for the book and is allowing me to create a poster to, err, post in the LMC so the kids walking through will know it's there. We chatted for a few minutes and then I walked through the halls to the front door, checking out the student art that hung in the hallways along the way. It seemed like only yesterday that we were a new family at this school, and now that's all in the rear view mirror. Time flies.

I'm sure you can see why I decided to put this school on top of my priority list when it came to marketing this book. Yes, the student age group is right. Yes, the LMC Director is very friendly. What it really boils down to for me though, is that I feel supported here; I feel comfortable here. And even though it's been 2 years since my younger son left, they welcomed me back today with open arms and were genuinely happy for my accomplishment. It doesn't get much better than that!