Sunday, October 21, 2007

Who Knew The U.S. Post Office Had Such Amazing Customer Service???

I have another chapter of the "Ellen book and the Post Office" saga for you today!

In keeping an eye on my Delivery Confirmation number, I found out (Friday night) that the book that I sent to "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" was indeed delivered on Friday morning at 11:22! Whee! So that was a relief, that I wouldn't have to expect it back in my mailbox in a matter of a week or two...

And then yesterday (Saturday), I left the house to run some errands and discovered that I had a voice mail message when I turned on my cell phone. To my surprise, it was the Post Office lady! Say it with me, people: "Whaaaaaa???"

Here is her message, word for word:
"Hi Melisa, it's M from the post office. That book going to Ellen's show should be fine because back in May they made some changes and now they're saying that if it's rigid you can do Delivery Confirmation First Class and it doesn't have to be 3/4 of an inch thick; they added some stuff in there and I was wrong, so I'm sorry. I just wanted to tell you that, that piece should be fine. Thanks, bye."

If I had been standing up at the time I listened to it, you could have knocked me over with a feather.

But wait! How did she get my number, you're wondering?

During my time at her window, she was dazzled by the labels on the envelopes and asked about them. I told her about the book and she seemed interested, so I gave her my business card! (Workin' it, workin' it!) Turns out it's a good thing I did that; she probably was up all night thinking about this situation and how she thought I was totally freaked out; it's great for both of us that she was able to make that call! Now I know just how great some post office employees are. I plan to call her branch manager tomorrow to give her a big "Holla!" Management needs to know these things, you know?