Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Full Heart

In my last post here, ages ago (well, in June), I linked to another blogger's tribute to her dog, Sadie, who had recently passed. At the time, I didn't know that blogger; I just knew of her.

Six weeks later, I met Secret Agent Mama (who has a real name, too: Mishi!) at the BlogHer conference. I was thrilled to spend the afternoon with her and two others at a watering hole near the Sears Tower, and we got to know each other. I'm so glad that we did. We became friends and now keep in touch.

I sent her a copy of Remembering Ruby to share with her kids.

A few weeks ago, Mishi sent me the link to something her daughter Olivia had written in tribute to Sadie. Apparently my book inspired her to write it. I was deeply humbled; I initially wrote my book for my own family, but hoped that it would help others work through their grief (especially children!). I have said since its publication that I just wanted to "help one kid through it". I've been told on a couple occasions that my book did help a youngster cope with their loss, and Olivia's well-written tribute seals it for me: I did what I came to do.

Now I'm feeling greedy. I hope this book helps hundreds of kids.

I want to thank Mishi for sharing Olivia's work with me!

Also, a note to Olivia: You are a wonderful writer, Olivia! Keep it up; I look forward to reading more of your work someday!